lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: case sensitivity
Date Fri, 27 Apr 2007 20:12:08 GMT
On 4/26/07, Erik Hatcher <erik@ehatchersolutions.com> wrote:
> I think we should open up as many of the switches as we can to
> QueryParser, allowing users to tinker with them if they want, setting
> the defaults to the most common reasonable settings we can agree upon.

I think we should also try and handle what we can automatically too.
Always lowercasing or not isn't elegant, as the right thing to do
depends on the field.

I always had it in my head that the QueryParser should figure it out.
Actually, for good performance, the fieldType should figure it out just once.
The presense of a LowerCaseFilter could be one signal to lowercase
prefix strings,
or one could actually run a test token through analysis and test if it
comes out lowercased.

Numeric fields are a sticking point... prefix queries and wildcard
queries aren't even possible there.  Of course, even stemming is
problematic with wildcard queries.

-Yonik