lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Walter Underwood <wunderw...@netflix.com>
Subject Re: Leading wildcards
Date Mon, 23 Apr 2007 22:07:35 GMT
Here is a late response, apache.org was rejecting our e-mails...

Allowing leading wildcards opens up a denial of service attack. It becomes
trivial to overload the search engine and take it out of service, just
hammer it with leading wildcard queries. Please leave the default as
disabled. If we add a config option, there should be a  security warning
with it.

wunder