lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From solruser <solru...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [acts_as_solr] Few question on usage
Date Fri, 20 Apr 2007 18:30:40 GMT

Hi Erik,

Please find my comments under ">>>" to your queries.

> : 1. What are other alternatives are available for ruby integration   
> with solr 
> : other than acts-as_solr plugin. 

acts_as_solr is purely for ActiveRecord (database O/R mapping)   
integration with Solr, such that when you create/update/delete   
records they get taken care of in Solr also. 

For pure Ruby access to Solr without a database, use solr-ruby.  The   
0.01 gem is available as "gem install solr-ruby", but if you can I'd   
recommend you tinker with the trunk codebase too. 

>>> 
Well I say, considering use of solr with rails application. Whats the ideal
approach?. 


> : 2. acts_as_solr plugin - does it support highlighting feature 

This depends on which acts_as_solr you've grabbed.  As Hoss   
mentioned, there are various flavors of it floating around.   I've   
promised to speak about acts_as_solr at RailsConf next month, so I'll   
be working to get that under control even if that means resurrecting   
my initial hack and making it part of solr-ruby and hoping that the   
other implementations floating out there would like to collaborate on   
a definitive version built into the Solr codebase. 

>>> 
Since there are many flavors floating around which is most sought after and
supported. And I agree that definitive version will help ROR community to
accept solr with much larger level of confidence.
 And since ROR application are addressing 
web2.0 the need for search and collaborate information is much higher. So I
personally believe addressing this will definately go long way.

> : 3. performance benchmark for acts_as_solr plugin available if any 

What kind of numbers are you after?  acts_as_solr searches Solr, and   
then will fetch the records from the database to bring back model   
objects, so you have to account for the database access in the   
picture as well as Solr. 

>>> 
Well to be specific I am keen to know about creation and update of indexes
when you run into large number of documents. Since database is used to
populate the models and definately it will be the commulative effect of
retrieval of document from solr with lucene, network issues (since its a web
service) and locally on database (depends on configuration).


-TIA




Erik Hatcher wrote:
> 
> Sorry, I missed the original mail.   Hoss has got it right.
> 
> Personally I'd love to see acts_as_solr definitively come into the  
> solr-ruby fold.
> 
> Regarding your questions:
> 
>> : 1. What are other alternatives are available for ruby integration  
>> with solr
>> : other than acts-as_solr plugin.
> 
> acts_as_solr is purely for ActiveRecord (database O/R mapping)  
> integration with Solr, such that when you create/update/delete  
> records they get taken care of in Solr also.
> 
> For pure Ruby access to Solr without a database, use solr-ruby.  The  
> 0.01 gem is available as "gem install solr-ruby", but if you can I'd  
> recommend you tinker with the trunk codebase too.
> 
>> : 2. acts_as_solr plugin - does it support highlighting feature
> 
> This depends on which acts_as_solr you've grabbed.  As Hoss  
> mentioned, there are various flavors of it floating around.   I've  
> promised to speak about acts_as_solr at RailsConf next month, so I'll  
> be working to get that under control even if that means resurrecting  
> my initial hack and making it part of solr-ruby and hoping that the  
> other implementations floating out there would like to collaborate on  
> a definitive version built into the Solr codebase.
> 
>> : 3. performance benchmark for acts_as_solr plugin available if any
> 
> What kind of numbers are you after?  acts_as_solr searches Solr, and  
> then will fetch the records from the database to bring back model  
> objects, so you have to account for the database access in the  
> picture as well as Solr.
> 
> 	Erik
> 
> 
> 
> On Apr 19, 2007, at 5:30 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:
> 
>>
>> I don't really know alot about Ruby, but as i understand it there  
>> are more
>> then a few versions of something called "acts_as_solr" floating  
>> arround
>> ... the first written by Erik as a proof of concept, and then  
>> pickedu pand
>> polished a bit by someone else (whose name escapes me)
>>
>> all of the "serious" ruby/solr development i know about is  
>> happening as
>> part of the "Flare" sub-sub project...
>>
>> 	http://wiki.apache.org/solr/Flare
>> 	http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolRuby
>>
>> ...most of the people workign on it seem to hang out on the
>> ruby-dev@lucene mailing list.  as i understand it the "solr-ruby"  
>> package
>> is a low level ruby<->solr API, with Flare being a higher level
>> reusable Rails app type thingamombob.  (can you tell i don't know a  
>> lot
>> about RUby or rails? ... i'm winging it)
>>
>>
>> : Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 10:52:00 -0700
>> : From: amit rohatgi <solruser@gmail.com>
>> : Reply-To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
>> : To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
>> : Subject: [acts_as_solr] Few question on usage
>> :
>> : Hi
>> :
>> : Here are few question for solr integrating with ruby
>> :
>> : 1. What are other alternatives are available for ruby integration  
>> with solr
>> : other than acts-as_solr plugin.
>> : 2. acts_as_solr plugin - does it support highlighting feature
>> : 3. performance benchmark for acts_as_solr plugin available if any
>> :
>> :
>> : -thanks
>> : dev
>> :
>>
>>
>>
>> -Hoss
> 
> 
> 

-- 
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/-acts_as_solr--Few-question-on-usage-tf3595245.html#a10107800
Sent from the Solr - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.


Mime
View raw message