lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: HA and load balancing Qauestion
Date Thu, 08 Mar 2007 22:53:01 GMT

: I'm struck with Solr requiring an index directory under dataDir configured
: in SolrConfig.  Why does it not take a complete path_to_index configured
: under dataDir but append "index"? Is there anyway I can workaround this?

i think at one time we were assuming there might be other types of data
you'd want Solr to store besides the index... the assumption is that you
tell Solr where you want it to keep all of it's data, and after that you
shouldn't care what lives in that directory.

if i remember correctly, the dataDir is alwo where the solr snapshots and
temp dirs get put ... if Solr let you configure the indexdir directly,
we'd need you to also configure those locations seperately -- except that
they have to be on the same physical disk for hardlinks to work, so it's
relaly just a lot simpler if you tell SOlr the dataDir and let it take
care of everything else.

(except in your case where you *want* to take care of it ... Solr wasn't
really designed for that case)

-Hoss