lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Jed Reynolds <li...@benrey.is-a-geek.net>
Subject Re: merely a suggestion: schema.xml validator or better schema validation logging
Date Sat, 03 Mar 2007 09:36:17 GMT
Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On 3/3/07, Ryan McKinley <ryantxu@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> ...The rationale with the solrconfig stuff is that a broken config
>> should
>> behave as best it can.  This is great if you are running a real site
>> with people actively using it - it is a pain in the ass if you are
>> getting started and don't notice errors....
>
> I think it's a PITA in any case, I like my systems to fail loudly when
> something's wrong in the configs (with details about what's happening,
> of course).
>
> -Bertrand

I think it's interesting seeing the difference. The system at CNET
obviously needed to fail gracefully before it needed to fail fast. I
have the luxury of a dev environment and fail-fast is exactly the kinda
thing I want so I know about as many limitations and problems as soon as
possible.

Having this behavior toggled would be idea. Version the solrconfig.xml
between a fail-graceful for your production branch and a fail-fast for
your dev branch.

Jed