lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Jed Reynolds <li...@benrey.is-a-geek.net>
Subject Re: merely a suggestion: schema.xml validator or better schema validation logging
Date Sat, 03 Mar 2007 06:13:12 GMT
Ryan McKinley wrote:
> On 3/2/07, Yonik Seeley <yonik@apache.org> wrote:
>> On 3/2/07, Ryan McKinley <ryantxu@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > The rationale with the solrconfig stuff is that a broken config should
>> > behave as best it can.
>>
>> I don't think that's what I was actually going for in this instance
>> (the schema).
>> I was focused on getting correct stuff to work correctly, and worry
>> about incorrect stuff later :-)
>>

> sorry, I was referring to solrconfig.xml... if something goes wrong
> (think) there are code comments somewhere about how it should be ok to
> have an error and still keep a working system...  I'd like to be able
> to configure a "strict" mode so it does not continue.
>

>> > The other one that can confuse you is if you add documents with fields
>> > that are undefined - rather then getting an error, solr adds the
>> > fields that are defined (it may print out an exception somewhere, but
>> > i've never noticed it)
>>
>> Also unintended.
>>

> How do you all feel about returning an error when you add a document
> with unknown fields?

That sounds like a good option to specify in solrconfig.xml.

> I spent a long time tracking down an error with a document set with an
> uppercase field name to something configured with a lowercase field.

Isn't this the kind of error that XML validation is supposed to address?
I completely understand the appeal of loosely validating XML documents,
of course. However, since adding a document to an index is not a
lightweight operation, adding validation doesn't seem unreasonable. If
writing a schema is required for validation, I'm willing to endure that
step. I can certainly see many instances when components in my system
written by other staff won't fit into my Solr schema. A way to enforce a
schema, strictly, in a dev environment, is entirely appropriate for me.

Jed