lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Tim Patton <tpat...@dealcatcher.com>
Subject Federated Search
Date Tue, 27 Feb 2007 21:53:22 GMT
I just downloaded Solr to try out, it seems like it will replace a ton
of code I've written.  I saw a few posts about the FederatedSearch and
skimmed the ideas at http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FederatedSearch.  The
project I am working on has several Lucene indexes 20-40GB in size
spread among a few machines.  I've also run into problems figuring out
how to work with Lucene in a distributed fashion, though all of my
difficulties were in indexing, searching with Multisearcher and a few
custom classes on top of the hits was not that difficult.

Indexing involved using a SQL database as a master db so you could find
documents by their unique ID and a JMS server to distribute additions,
deletions and updates to each of the indexing servers.  I eventually
replaced the JMS server with someone custom I wrote that is much more
lightweight, and less prone to bogging down.

I'd be curious if Yonik was still on the list and if he or anyone had
any new ideas for Federated Searching.

Tim P.