lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Stephanie Belton" <>
Subject RE: Performance tuning
Date Thu, 11 Jan 2007 22:27:40 GMT
The reason I am keeping a close eye on resource usage is that our traffic is
increasing by around 20% every month (currently over 400,000 page
impressions/day although not all of them are search queries!) and I want to
make sure we tackle any performance issues before it gets too late. I would
rather keep load balancing as a last resort due to cost implications.

-----Original Message-----
From: [] On Behalf Of Yonik Seeley
Sent: 11 January 2007 22:02
Subject: Re: Performance tuning

On 1/11/07, Stephanie Belton <> wrote:
> Thanks for that. I am sorry this isn't really Solr-related but how can I
> monitor the swapping if I can't rely on the output of the free command?
> Do you think I could still achieve any significant improvements by going
> through the performance tuning advice on the wiki?

Unfortunately, I think that's pretty old stuff.

People are normally concerned with:
  - the number of requests per second they can handle with their server
  - the average latency of requests (or median, 99 percentile, etc)

A goal of reducing CPU usage w/o looking at the other factors is
unusual, but if your query rate is very low, or your cache hit rate is
low, you could reduce or eliminate caching or autowarming.

View raw message