lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: boosts?
Date Thu, 28 Dec 2006 15:45:15 GMT
On 12/27/06, Tom <solr-list@zvents.com> wrote:
> I'm having a problem getting boosts to work the way I think they are
> supposed to.

Do you have a specific relevance problem you are trying to solve, or
just testing things out?

> What I want is for documents to be returned in doc boost order, when
> all the queries are constant scoring range queries. (e.g. date:[2006 TO 2007])

They are *constant scoring* range queries :-)  Index-time boosts
currently don't factor in.

[...]
> I would expect to see a boost of 100 on the SP2514N, in the
> explanation. Should I get that?

Even if index-time boosts were factored in, you wouldn't see an
explicit 'boost'.
The index-time boost is multiplied by the length normalization factor
for the field and the product is the "norm".

> I would also expect it to be at the
> head of the list, but I think I'm seeing the docs in insertion order.
> (if I insert xd.xml before monitor.xml, I get them in insertion order
> in that case as well.)

I'd recommend only using index-time boosting when you can't get the
relevance you want with query boosting and scoring.

-Yonik