lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: solr/tomcat stops responding
Date Sun, 03 Dec 2006 13:16:08 GMT
On 12/2/06, Kevin Lewandowski <kevinsl@gmail.com> wrote:
> > accept connections for 3 or 4 hours ... did you try taking some thread
> > dumps like yonik suggested to see what all the threads were doing?
>
> A kill -3 will not kill the process. It does nothing and there's no
> thread dump on the console. kill -9 does kill it though.

Hmmm, on most Linux/UNIX systems, sending the QUIT signal does nothing
else but generate a stack trace to the console or a log file.  If you
don't start tomcat by hand, the stack trace may go somewhere else I
suppose.  This would be useful to learn how to do on your particular
system (and we should add it to a debugging/troubleshooting wiki too).

> btw, this has been a bigger problem for me because there's a separate
> hardware issue and the system freezes about every 12 hours. So I have
> to reboot it. After that I noticed solr not responding.

Are you load-balancing at all, or is this your only search server?
FYI, I'm looking into something that will help.

-Yonik