lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Nagy <andrew.n...@villanova.edu>
Subject Re: Facet Performance
Date Fri, 08 Dec 2006 22:37:20 GMT
Erik Hatcher wrote:

> On Dec 8, 2006, at 2:15 PM, Andrew Nagy wrote:
>
>> My data is 492,000 records of book data.  I am faceting on 4  fields:
>> author, subject, language, format.
>> Format and language are fairly simple as their are only a few  unique
>> terms.  Author and subject however are much different in  that there
>> are thousands of unique terms.
>

> When encountering difficult issues, I like to think in terms of the
> user interface.  Surely you're not presenting 400k+ authors to the
> users in one shot.  In Collex, we have put an AJAX drop-down that
> shows the author facet (we call it name on the UI, with various roles
> like author, painter, etc).  You can see this in action here:

In our data, we don't have unique authors for each records ... so let's
say out of the 500,000 records ... we have 200,000 authors.  What I am
trying to display is the top 10 authors from the results of a search.
So I do a search for title:"Gone with the wind" and I would like to see
the top 10 matching authors from these results.

But no worries, I have written my own facet handler and I am now back to
under a second with faceting!

Thanks for everyone's help and keep up the good work!

Andrew