lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Walter Underwood <wunderw...@netflix.com>
Subject Re: Solr Benchmarks
Date Mon, 06 Nov 2006 17:50:15 GMT
On 11/6/06 6:28 AM, "Nicolas St-Laurent" <nstlaurent@wantedtech.com> wrote:

> Is there any Solr benchmarks available somewhere ? I would like to
> know how well it performs. I understand that it depends on the
> hardware config and on the application server used. Just to got an
> idea...

With search engines, you really need to test with your documents,
your queries, and your settings. Performance might vary by a
factor of ten or more.

I've done some testing using JMeter. I followed the instructions
in the JMeter FAQ for "How do I use external data files in my
test scripts?"

   http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-jmeter/JMeterFAQ

I'm attaching the script I built with this. A few notes:

* The queries should be one per line in a file named "query.txt"
  in the JMeter bin directory.
* This test will use HTTP 1.1 persistent connections, so it
  is faster than a bunch of different clients. It should be
  fairly accurate if search is front-ended by another app.
* It helps to have a lot of queries, maybe 50K or more.
  I've seen other search engines run entirely from cache with a
  1000 query test set.
* JMeter can use a lot of CPU, so it might hit the limit before
  Solr does. Watch the CPU usage on both systems (JMeter and Solr)
  to see which one is the bottleneck.
* The display graphs can slow down JMeter on long tests. I was
  seeing spots of low CPU usage on the Solr server and those
  went away when I cleared the graph.

I was very pleased with the Solr performance in my testing.
With our small corpus (65K docs) I was seeing over 240 qps
on my dev box (dual 3 GHz Xeon). I expect that it didn't touch
the disk at all, since the index is only 50 Meg.

wunder
--
Walter Underwood
Search Guru, Netflix