lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <yo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Default XML Output Schema
Date Thu, 21 Sep 2006 15:00:11 GMT
On 9/21/06, sangraal aiken <sangraal@gmail.com> wrote:
> Perhaps a silly questions, but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me why solr
> outputs XML like this:

During the initial development of Solr (2004), I remember throwing up
both options, and most developers preferred to have a limited number
of well defined tags.

It allows you to have rather arbitrary field names, which you couldn't
have if you used the field name as the tag.

It also allows consistency with custom data.  For example, here is the
representation of an array of integer:
If field names were used as tags, we would have to either make up a
dummy-name, or we wouldn't be able to use the same style.

> <doc>
> <int name="id">201038</id>
> <int name="siteId">31</siteId>
> <date name="modified">2006-09-15T21:36:39.000Z</date>
> </doc>
>
> rather than like this:
>
> <doc>
> <id type="int">201038</id>
> <siteId type="int">31</siteId>
> <modified type="date">2006-09-15T21:36:39.000Z</modified>
> </doc>
>
> A front-end PHP developer I know is having trouble parsing the default Solr
> output because of that format and mentioned it would be much easier in the
> former format... so I was curious if there was a reason it is the way it is.

There are a number of options for you.
You could write your own QueryResponseWriter to output XML just as you
like it, or use an XSLT stylesheet in conjunction with
or use another format such as JSON.

-Yonik