lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Joachim Martin <jmar...@path-works.com>
Subject Re: Simple Faceted Searching out of the box
Date Fri, 22 Sep 2006 20:02:45 GMT
I think you will find that this architecture is quite common.  What
commercial packages
provide (remember you are getting this for free!) are the tools for
managing the dynamic
export of data out of your database into the full-text search engine.

Solr provides a very easy way to do this, but yes, you have to do some
programming
to automate it.

Two common ways of doing this.  1) write a component that periodically
checks for
new/updated database content and submits it to solr.  2) write a trigger
in the database
that immediately posts to solr (I would use JMS or some other
asynchronous messaging
system for this).  I'm sure there are other solutions.

When/if MYSQL full text search is as good as solr/lucene, you can cut
out one of the steps.

I could see a component added to solr that did #1 above for you.  MG4j
has a simple
loader that takes a SQL query and indexes the result
(JdbcDocumentCollection). For
Solr, you'd want to be able to handle muti-valued fields, which
complicates things.

If this architecture bothers technical folks, they either are accustomed
to using very
expensive software, or haven't been doing this very long.

Of course, I am trying to figure out a way to make Solr more like a
database, so there
you go...

--Joachim