lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Otis Gospodnetic <otis_gospodne...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: How much ram can Solr use?
Date Wed, 27 Sep 2006 23:25:46 GMT
Yes, you'll need a 64-bit machine in order to use over 2GB of JVM heap.  You can set the maximum
with -Xmx16g for example.  Try that on a 32-bit machines, and you'll immediately get an error
from JVM telling you to go get yourself a 64-bit box.

Otis

----- Original Message ----
From: Kevin Lewandowski <kevinsl@gmail.com>
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 7:16:53 PM
Subject: How much ram can Solr use?

On the performace wiki page it mentions a test box with 16GB ram. Did
anything special need to be done to use that much ram (with the OS or
java)? Would Solr on a system with Linux x86_64 and Tomcat be able to
use that much ram? (sorry, I don't know Java so I don't know if there
are any limitations there).

thanks,
Kevin