lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <ysee...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene versioning policy
Date Thu, 08 Jun 2006 23:19:54 GMT
On 6/8/06, Mike Klaas <mike.klaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was curious as to policy regarding being current with the lucene
> codebase.  Does solr use the lastest stable release?  bleeding edge
> (trunk?)  Occasional manual svn import?

An occasional SVN import based on need (same as hadoop/nutch as far as
I can see).
Lucene releases are to far and few between to always go with a "stable" version.
Solr is stocked with Lucene committers, so we know what's is going in.
 If we find a Lucene problem, I'd rather make a fix directly to Lucene
and use it rather than attempting to work around it.  Also, as a
Lucene committer, I also like making sure the current version is
stable.

> Also, are there any plans to split solr into a release/development mode?

Definitely.  (just no dates have been set yet)

> I'd really like to use solr in a commercial setting, but having nothing but
> nightly builds available makes me uneasy.

Anything you develop would need to be QA'd for a commercial setting
anyway.  Perhaps you could pick the latest nightly build, make sure it
works for your application, and stick with it a while :-)

-Yonik