lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Yonik Seeley" <ysee...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: embedding solr in a webapp?
Date Wed, 07 Jun 2006 18:32:48 GMT
On 6/7/06, Joachim Martin <jmartin@path-works.com> wrote:
> We are looking at running read-only solr nodes embedded in our webapp
> nodes.  This would give us the
> additional features of solr over lucene, but would keep it in memory and
> reduce the overhead of http/xml
> transport of results.
>
> Looks like we would just create a request handler and call
> handleRequest(req,rsp), and deal with the
> search results DocList ourselves.

Yes, that should work fine.

> Would there be any reason why this sort of setup would prohibit the use
> of index replication in a master/slave
> setup?

No, that should still work fine.

> Does this make sense?  As you might guess, speed is more important that
> flexibility.

It can make sense in certain cases... but it does cut down on your
flexibility to size the search tier independently of the appserver
tier.

Eliminating the IPC might get you 5% more performance, but at what
development & flexibility cost?  It's easier to buy a slightly faster
box, or simply add another server if you are running behind a
load-balancer.  You know your situation best of course :-)

>  We are using solr for
> a content search, returning ids, and doing a secondary db lookup for
> extended entity information.

You go through the trouble of avoiding one IPC call, but you add it
back in with the DB lookup... are the fields too large to store in
Lucene?

-Yonik