lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: custom query response writer
Date Thu, 15 Jun 2006 07:37:01 GMT
: are linked to the one being written, think relationships here).  I'm
: having difficulty customizing the output because XMLWriter's
: constructor is package protected.  Is there a performance or API
: reason we need this class to be uninstantiable from other packages?
: Having it still final is ok, I believe, but making the constructor
: public would help me write a custom query response writer.
:
: Objections?

No objections from me ... i *think* the reason it's pacakge protected at
the moment is because the only expected use for it was to create a
seperate instance during each invocation of the static method
XMLWriter.writeResponse.  (But only Yonik knows for sure what he
anticipated).  If it stays final, i don't see any downside to making the
constructor public so other classes can reuse the write* methods ... it's
making it subclassable that would worry me a little (there may be side
affects in some of those methods that are neccessary but non-obvious)

-Hoss