lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Multiple updates possible?
Date Fri, 24 Mar 2006 18:22:19 GMT

: We're looking at having multiple instances of Solr looking at a single
: lucene index.  Would there be a problem if all instances updated the
: index at the same time?

I'm 99% sure it won't be possible to have multiple server instances using
the same index directory and making modifications -- i think the
UpdateHandler maintains an persistent IndexWriter between commits (so that
it doesn't pay the cost of opening the IndexWRiter every time you
add/update a document.

However, you might be able to have multiple servers *reading* from the
same index, which only one server udpates -- if you configure the
postCommit hook appropriately on your "master" (the server doing updates)
it can even execute a shell script to notify all of the other servers that
it's cahnge the index and they should re-open their IndexReaders.

Can I ask what your use case is for wanting multiple servers updating the
same physical index directory?

-Hoss