lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Paolo Castagna <castagna.li...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Eclipse project files...
Date Thu, 15 Apr 2010 21:40:26 GMT
Erick Erickson wrote:
> <<<Why are classpath files generally not included in open source
> projects?>>>
>
> because they're always wrong <G>...

It is possible to get it right and when it happens users will have a
much better experience when they checkout the sources of a project.

Just a few examples of things I use:

  - https://jena.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/jena/TDB/trunk/.classpath
  - https://jena.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/jena/ARQ/trunk/.classpath
  - http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/hadoop/common/trunk/build.xml

With Maven and/or Ant+Ivy it's possible to generate Eclipse .classpath
and .project files automatically from your pom.xml file or from your
ivy.xml (Hadoop does that).

> If I put mine in c:\apache, and you put yours in c:\trunk, our classpath
> files will reflect that. And I *really* don't want to update the project and
> get my classpath file overwritten with yours.
>
> Not to mention that I *actually* work on a mac, where Ant has been
> installed in /usr and.......

The examples above work on Linux, Windows and should work on Mac OS X as
well, there are no absolute paths in the .classpath or .project files.

> Not to mention other libraries. And what about plugins?
>
> That said, one *can* include a sample classpath and, perhaps, project
> file,  that can be copied to "the correct place" and changed to reflect the
> local setup as has been done on the Wiki, see:
> http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/HowToContribute

Eclipse .classpath and .project files can be checked into the source
code repository or they can be generated as part of the building system.

I'd love to have the same good experience with Lucene and Solr... I am
still having problems trying to configure Eclipse to run Solr tests (and
yes, I've changed the current directory... but I still have problems).

Paolo