lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: rough outline of where Solr's going
Date Fri, 19 Mar 2010 01:36:04 GMT
On 03/18/2010 09:27 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:
> : Sorry about the following non serious reply:
> :
> : It hasn't seemed to hurt the most popular software in the world to be way
> : worse than that ;)
> :
> : 1, 2, 3, NT, 95, 98, 98SE, ME, CE, 2000, XP, 2003, Vista, 2008, 7 (by who's
>
> a) 2000 came out before ME
>
> b) NT, CE, and 2003 (a server edition) were all "forks" designed for
> differnet usages.
>
> c) If you're willing to pony up enough cash to match the marketing budget
> spent for *any* one of those version schema transitions then I will
> happily back you up on naming the version any-freaking-thing you want.
> I'll seriously vote to call it "Apache Solr Miller Edition" if you pay for
> the billboards
>

> -Hoss

Heh - I knew some of that ordering was off - I basically just listed
from memory - I don't have a clue when CE was born. Its not as simple as
just forks though - eventually NT merged with the consumer line in XP,
and 2003, 2008 also came from NT. These forks cross lines, so who is to
say which way you count the versions :) And I missed 2000 server.

Seriously though, I'm not concerned with what the next version of Solr
will be - I'm sure you guys will work it out, and I'm sure the users
will figure it out. Me, I don't care - though I would like to remove
deprecations.

--
- Mark

http://www.lucidimagination.com