lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Peter S <pete...@hotmail.com>
Subject Field value tags
Date Sat, 06 Feb 2010 01:19:55 GMT

Hi Solr-dev,

I've had a good look 'round for this functionality/patches etc., and I couldn't find anything.
Before delving deeper into the possibilities, I thought I'd put this rfe to the experts for
comments/'been there, done that' etc...:

Requirement:

To add the ability to tag indexed field values (a.o.t fields), regardless of the field they
may show up in. Then have the ability to query on this tag, and all documents where the tag
evaluates to a match are returned.

An example:

Let's say things are configured to tag specific email addresses that end in @salesoffice.co.uk.
(e.g. match on *@salesoffice.co.uk) with a tag called 'UKSalesEmail'.

During indexing, whenever such a value is encountered, it is associated with this tag (probably
added to a table with async persistence or similar).

A user can then perform a search something like q:*:*&tag=UKSalesEmail, which proceeds
to return all documents that match *@salesoffice.co.uk.

This might be thought of as 'synonyms for values'.

The above example is pretty simple, but such a feature becomes useful with the ability to
support one-to-many/many-to-many values - e.g. 'UKSalesEmail' might instead evaluate to a
list of 50 sales employee's specific email addresses, rather than a simple wildcard (the list
would likely change over time as employees are hired/sacked; the query user probably wouldn't
know all the names, and certainly wouldn't want to type them all in). Similarly, 'fred@salesoffice.co.uk'
might be associated with a number of different tags (e.g. 'UKSalesOffice', 'UKEmployee', 'BigCorporateBehemoth',
'HighRiskEmployee', 'DrinksOnFridayTeam' etc.).

Does Solr possess such functionality at the moment, or is there a [planned] patch for this
sort of thing?

If not, does the community have any thoughts on an enhancement along these lines?

Many thanks,

Peter

Send us your Hotmail stories and be featured in our newsletter
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/195013117/direct/01/