lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Chris Darroch (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] Created: (SOLR-1799) enable matching of "CamelCase" with "camelcase" in WordDelimiterFilter
Date Sat, 27 Feb 2010 21:23:05 GMT
enable matching of "CamelCase" with "camelcase" in WordDelimiterFilter
----------------------------------------------------------------------

                 Key: SOLR-1799
                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-1799
             Project: Solr
          Issue Type: Improvement
          Components: search
    Affects Versions: 1.4, 1.3
            Reporter: Chris Darroch
            Priority: Minor
             Fix For: 1.3


At the bottom of the WordDelimiterFilter.java code there's the following comment:

// downsides:  if source text is "powershot" then a query of "PowerShot" won't match!

Another serious example for us might be something like an indexed document containing the
word "Tribeca" or "Soho", and then a user trying to search for "TriBeCa" or "SoHo".

This issue has turned up in a couple of recent mailing list threads:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/lucene-solr-user/200908.mbox/%3cfe4f94830908201429j3ffbcdd3s3cb7d80542b31e48@mail.gmail.com%3e
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/lucene-solr-user/200905.mbox/%3c72d9e9500905121619p68c27099ibc7079e52cb0e48e@mail.gmail.com%3e

In the first thread I found the best explication of what my own misunderstanding was, and
it's something I'm sure must trip up other people as well:

{quote}
I've misunderstood WordDelimiterFilter.  You might think that catenateAll="1" would append
the full phrase (sans delimiters) as an OR against the query.  So "jOkersWild" would produce:

"j (okers wild)" OR "jokerswild"

But you thought wrong.  Its actually:

"j (okers wild jokerswild)"

Which is confusing and won't match...
{quote}

In the second thread, Yonik Seeley gives a good explanation of why this occurs, and provides
a suggested workaround where you duplicate your data fields and then query on one using generateWordParts="1"
and on the other using catenateWords="1".  That works, but obviously requires data duplication.
 In our case, we are also following what I believe is recommended practice and duplicating
our data already into stemmed and unstemmed indexes.  To my mind, to further duplicate both
of these fields a second time, with no difference in the indexed data of the additional copy,
seems needlessly wasteful when the problem lies entirely in the query side of things.

At any rate, I'm attaching a patch against Solr 1.3 which is rather hacky, but seems to work
for us.  In WordDelimiterFilter, if generateWordParts="1" and catenateWords="2", then we move
the concatenated word to overlap its position with the first generated token instead of the
last (which is the behaviour with catenateWords="1").  We further insert a preceding dummy
flag token with the special type "CATENATE_FIRST".

In SolrPluginUtils in the DisjunctionMaxQueryParser class we just copy in the entirety of
the getFieldQuery() code from Lucene's QueryParser.  This is ugly, I know.  This code is then
tweaked so that in the case where the dummy flag token is seen, it creates a BooleanQuery
with the following token (the concatenated word) as a conditional TermQuery clause, and then
adds the generated terms in their usual MultiPhraseQuery as a second conditional clause.

Now I realize this patch is (a) not likely acceptable on style and elegance grounds, and (b)
only against Solr 1.3, not trunk.  My apologies for both; after I'd spent most of what time
I had available tracking down the source of the problem, I just needed to get something working
quickly.  Perhaps this patch will inspire others to greatness, though, or at a minimum provide
a starting point for those who stumble over this same issue.

Thanks for a great application!  Cheers.

-- 
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
-
You can reply to this email to add a comment to the issue online.


Mime
View raw message