lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>
Subject Re: SolrCloud logical shards
Date Thu, 14 Jan 2010 17:46:05 GMT
I'm actually starting to lean toward "slice" instead of "logical shard".
In the future we'll want to enable overlapping shards I think (due to
an Amazon Dynamo type of replication, or due to merging shards, etc),
and a separate word for a logical slice of the index seems desirable.

For instance, one could specify slice=1000-1999 (defined by the ids or
hashcodes of the ids) and that could end up querying multiple servers.
 For this first iteration, slices would just be opaque identifiers
though (and that functionality would always remain, allowing for user
partitioning by time or by geo region).

So "slice" would be logical, "shard" would be physical.
To get a full result, one needs to query all of the slices of an
index, but not necessarily all of the shards.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com