lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Uri Boness <ubon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SolrCloud logical shards
Date Thu, 14 Jan 2010 22:58:22 GMT
Although Jason has some valid points here, I'm with Yonik here. I do
believe that we've gotten used to the terms "core" to represent a single
index and "shard" to be represented by a single core. A "node" seems to
indicate a machine or a JVM. Changing any of these (informal perhaps)
definitions will only cause confusion. That's why I think a "slice" is a
good solution now... first it's a new term to a new view of the index
(logical shard AFAIK don't really exists yet) so people won't need to
get used to it, but it's also descriptive and intuitive. I do like
Jason's idea about having a protocol attached to the URL's.

Cheers,
Uri