lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Hoss Man (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] Commented: (SOLR-1602) Refactor SOLR package structure to include o.a.solr.response and move QueryResponseWriters in there
Date Mon, 04 Jan 2010 04:58:56 GMT

    [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-1602?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=12796080#action_12796080
] 

Hoss Man commented on SOLR-1602:
--------------------------------

Uh ... ok.

First off: Broad discussions beyond the scope of this particular Jira issue really don't feel
appropriate in the comments -- discussions about Solr's release cycles, general architecture,
roadmaps, targeted user base,  etc. should be on the mailing list where they are more visible.

Second: In trying to catch up with all of the new comments in this issue since the last time
i looked at it, i find myself with very little substantive comments to add beyond what i already
said. i started trying to address some individual points people have made, but that just felt
tedious, so i'll just make a few comments in general.  Hopefully I'll say the same thing in
a different way that will make more sense...

There are very few instances in Solr's history where we have ever (knowningly) broken backwards
compatibility at the "user level" ( config files, request params, etc...) -- in all of those
cases, we tried to provide a simple method for users who depended on the legacy behavior to
restore it with a simple configure change which was advertised in the upgrade instructions.
 In every one of those situations (that i can remember) we *still* had a few users who got
confused/frustrated at the change in behavior.  I don't really have the energy/inclination
to go find documentation on all of those situations, but here's two examples that are fresh
in my mind because they just happened last month when people tried to upgrade to 1.4 and didn't
notice the change regarding the legacy ";" sort syntax...

http://old.nabble.com/Upgrade-from-1.2-to-1.4-to26829388.html#a26829388
http://phatness.com/2009/11/sorting-by-date-with-solr/

I'm not suggesting that we should always strive for 100% back compat in the configs and the
request params and that people should expect identical configs to always work in every Solr
release for hte next 74 years -- but so far, the only times we've (knowingly) broken existing
configs it was when the goal was to either improve the default behavior, or add additional
functionality.  I've got no problem telling 40% of our existing users "you need to add foo=bar
to your config to have it keep working" if it means that the other 60% and every other new
users gets something good out of deal....

....but i see no good reason to break things for a large percentage of our user base when
there is no value add to them in return ... having a (subjectively) cleaner code base is not
a justification for making an upgrade break unless users edit their configs, or run a script.
 

If breaking things was the only way to fix some major bug, or add some cool feature, or saved
us 100 man hours of development then i would be completley on board telling people "sorry,
please change this one line." but when keeping things working takes such little effort, it
would be completley irresponsible to fuck our users over like that -- trivial shit like needing
to make a nusance edit to a config file for no apparent reason is what drives users away and
leaves a bad enough taste in their mouth that they actively trash talk a product/project as
being "unstable"

I honestly can't fathom how having ~10 less files in one directory is worth the amount of
discussion we've already had on this -- let alone the headaches of all the people this would
screw over on upgrading.  It's just such a fucking no brainer to me.


> Refactor SOLR package structure to include o.a.solr.response and move QueryResponseWriters
in there
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: SOLR-1602
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-1602
>             Project: Solr
>          Issue Type: Improvement
>          Components: Response Writers
>    Affects Versions: 1.2, 1.3, 1.4
>         Environment: independent of environment (code structure)
>            Reporter: Chris A. Mattmann
>            Assignee: Noble Paul
>             Fix For: 1.5
>
>         Attachments: SOLR-1602.Mattmann.112509.patch.txt, SOLR-1602.Mattmann.112509_02.patch.txt,
upgrade_solr_config
>
>
> Currently all o.a.solr.request.QueryResponseWriter implementations are curiously located
in the o.a.solr.request package. Not only is this package getting big (30+ classes), a lot
of them are misplaced. There should be a first-class o.a.solr.response package, and the response
related classes should be given a home there. Patch forthcoming.

-- 
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
-
You can reply to this email to add a comment to the issue online.


Mime
View raw message