lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Solr Cell revamped as an UpdateProcessor?
Date Mon, 07 Dec 2009 23:29:25 GMT

On Dec 7, 2009, at 3:51 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:

> ASs someone with very little knowledge of Solr Cell and/or Tika, I find myself wondering
if ExtractingRequestHandler would make more sense as an extractingUpdateProcessor -- where
it could be configured to take take either binary fields (or string fields containing URLs)
out of the Documents, parse them with tika, and add the various XPath matching hunks of text
back into the document as new fields.

> Then ExtractingRequestHandler just becomes a handler that slurps up it's ContentStreams
and adds them as binary data fields and adds the other literal params as fields.

> Wouldn't that make things like SOLR-1358, and using Tika with URLs/filepaths in XML and
CSV based updates fairly trivial?

It probably could, but am not sure how it works in a processor chain.  However, I'm not sure
I understand how they work all that much either.  I also plan on adding, BTW, a SolrJ client
for Tika that does the extraction on the client.  In many cases, the ExtrReqHandler is really
only designed for lighter weight extraction cases, as one would simply not want to send that
much rich content over the wire.