lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SOLR-1131: disconnect between fields created by poly fields
Date Sun, 13 Dec 2009 11:35:31 GMT

On Dec 12, 2009, at 12:08 AM, Lance Norskog wrote:

> There are already components (ExtractingRequestHandler, Deduplication)
> that secretly add fields which violate the schema. Personally I would
> nuke this ability; I've had major problems with junk in the indexed
> data and discovering secret fields would have made my head explode
> that much louder.

Just as with any dynamic field, the Luke and the LukeRequestHandler are your friends.  Which
reminds me, I need to mod the patch to have Luke spit out that it is a poly field.

I think the thing that is tricky here, is we are actually introducing a new layer of processing
on top of Lucene that allows for more complex modeling by doing away with the notion that
there is a 1-1 relationship between a FieldType and a Field.  Some people want explicit control,
while others won't care about the details.