lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् <noble.p...@corp.aol.com>
Subject Re: Solr Cell revamped as an UpdateProcessor?
Date Tue, 08 Dec 2009 05:22:32 GMT
Integrating Extraction w/ DIH is a better option. DIH makes it easier
to do the mapping of fields etc.

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 4:59 AM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:

> On Dec 7, 2009, at 3:51 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:
>

>> ASs someone with very little knowledge of Solr Cell and/or Tika, I find myself wondering
if ExtractingRequestHandler would make more sense as an extractingUpdateProcessor -- where
it could be configured to take take either binary fields (or string fields containing URLs)
out of the Documents, parse them with tika, and add the various XPath matching hunks of text
back into the document as new fields.

>> Then ExtractingRequestHandler just becomes a handler that slurps up it's ContentStreams
and adds them as binary data fields and adds the other literal params as fields.

>> Wouldn't that make things like SOLR-1358, and using Tika with URLs/filepaths in XML
and CSV based updates fairly trivial?

> It probably could, but am not sure how it works in a processor chain.  However, I'm
not sure I understand how they work all that much either.  I also plan on adding, BTW, a
SolrJ client for Tika that does the extraction on the client.  In many cases, the ExtrReqHandler
is really only designed for lighter weight extraction cases, as one would simply not want
to send that much rich content over the wire.

Noble Paul | Systems Architect| AOL | http://aol.com