lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Israel Ekpo <israele...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: release announcement draft
Date Mon, 02 Nov 2009 01:55:19 GMT
On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 11:56 AM, Yonik Seeley <yonik@lucidimagination.com>wrote:

> OK, here's another shot that adds a second paragraph that describes a
> little
> more the form that Solr takes.
>
> Again, I'm thinking of reusing the first two big descriptive
> paragraphs (starting with "Solr is the popular") on Solr's home page,
> as it's main description.
>
> -Yonik
> http://www.lucidimagination.com
>
> -- DRAFT -- DRAFT -- DRAFT -- DRAFT -- DRAFT -- DRAFT -- DRAFT -- DRAFT --
> Apache Solr 1.4 has been released and is now available for public download!
> http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/lucene/solr/
>
> Solr is the popular, blazing fast open source enterprise search
> platform from the Apache Lucene project.  Its major features include
> powerful full-text search, hit highlighting, faceted search, dynamic
> clustering, database integration, and rich document (e.g., Word, PDF)
> handling.  Solr is highly scalable, providing distributed search and
> index replication, and it powers the search and navigation features of
> many of the world's largest internet sites.
>
> Solr is written in Java and runs as a standalone full-text search server
> within a servlet container such as Tomcat.
> Solr uses Lucene at it's core for indexing and full-text search, and has
> REST-like HTTP/XML and JSON APIs that make it easy to use from virtually
> any programming language.  Solr's powerful external configuration allow it
> be tailored to almost any type of application without Java coding, however
> it has an extensive plugin architecture when more advanced
> customization is required.
>

> New Solr 1.4 features include
>  - Major performance enhancements in indexing, searching, and faceting
>  - Revamped all-Java index replication that's simple to configure and
> can replicate config files
>  - Greatly improved database integration via the DataImportHandler
>  - Rich document processing (Word, PDF, HTML) via Apache Tika
>  - Dynamic search results clustering via Carrot2
>  - Multi-select faceting (support for multiple items in a single
> category to be selected)
>  - Many powerful query enhancements, including ranges over arbitrary
> functions, nested queries of different syntaxes
>  - Many other plugins including Terms for auto-suggest, Statistics,
> TermVectors, Deduplication
>
> -- DRAFT -- DRAFT -- DRAFT -- DRAFT -- DRAFT -- DRAFT -- DRAFT -- DRAFT --

Hi Yonik,

I love this new introduction. In my opinion, it contains most of the facts
that someone hearing about Solr for the very first time needs to know about
what it is and what it can do. The distinction is clearer now, I believe.

I made slight changes (just punctuations) to your original text and I have
enclosed it between --BEGIN-- and --END-- below.

I made the following changes

1A: Solr uses Lucene at it's core for indexing
1B: Solr uses Lucene at its core for indexing

2A: JSON APIs that make it easy to use from virtually any programming
language
2B: JSON APIs that makes it easy to use from virtually any programming
language

3A: Solr's powerful external configuration allow it to be tailored to almost
any type of application
3B: Solr's powerful external configuration allows it to be tailored to
almost any type of application

Added a semi-colon to indicate the complete pause
4A: without Java coding, however it has an extensive plugin architecture
when more advanced customization is required.
4B: without Java coding; however it has an extensive plugin architecture
when more advanced customization is required.

--BEGIN--
Solr is written in Java and runs as a standalone full-text search server
within a servlet container such as Tomcat. Solr uses Lucene at its core for
indexing and full-text search, and has REST-like HTTP/XML and JSON APIs that
makes it easy to use from virtually any programming language.  Solr's
powerful external configuration allows it to be tailored to almost any type
of application without Java coding; however it has an extensive plugin
architecture when more advanced customization is required.
--END--
--
"Good Enough" is not good enough.
To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift.