lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>
Subject Re: SOLR-1131 - Multiple Fields per Field Type
Date Sat, 28 Nov 2009 15:35:19 GMT
On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 9:41 AM, Chris Male <gento0nz@gmail.com> wrote:
> Aren't search semantics the responsibility of a Query Parser and Querys
> themselves?  Just as the semantics of boolean queries are handled by the
> standard Query parsers and BooleanQuery.

At a certain point, one needs polymorphic behavior to do the right
thing (unless you hard-code all field type info into the query
parser).  This is already done via fieldType to control how range
queries, function queries, sort fields, etc, are created.

We *could* encode all of the info for both lat/lon in a single field,
but it would be more work since Lucene fieldcaches, numeric range
queries, etc, don't support that.  Practically, it seems easiest to
allow a single fieldType to use more than one internal field.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com