lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>
Subject Re: release announcement draft
Date Mon, 02 Nov 2009 02:08:43 GMT
Thanks for the review!  I already made some additional changes (I had
forgotten one of the suggestions by Chris eariler too).  New draft is
at the end, I've already checked this into subversion.  It's not live
though, so further tweaks and cleanups can still be made.

On that note: I'll be traveling tomorrow and tuesday... probably
mostly out of touch, so others may need to handle further edits.

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 8:55 PM, Israel Ekpo <israelekpo@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1A: Solr uses Lucene at it's core for indexing
> 1B: Solr uses Lucene at its core for indexing

Will do.

> 2A: JSON APIs that make it easy to use from virtually any programming
> language
> 2B: JSON APIs that makes it easy to use from virtually any programming
> language

Is that change right?  I'm no english major ;-)

A makes foo easy
A and B make foo easy
Multiple A's make foo easy

> 3A: Solr's powerful external configuration allow it to be tailored to almost
> any type of application
> 3B: Solr's powerful external configuration allows it to be tailored to
> almost any type of application

Hmm, OK.

> Added a semi-colon to indicate the complete pause
> 4A: without Java coding, however it has an extensive plugin architecture
> when more advanced customization is required.
> 4B: without Java coding; however it has an extensive plugin architecture
> when more advanced customization is required.

I had already changed this to use "and" instead of "however"... does
that change things?
What sounds best?

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com

-- DRAFT -- DRAFT -- DRAFT -- DRAFT -- DRAFT -- DRAFT -- DRAFT -- DRAFT --
Apache Solr 1.4 has been released and is now available for public download!
http://www.apache.org/dyn/closer.cgi/lucene/solr/

Solr is the popular, blazing fast open source enterprise search
platform from the Apache Lucene project.  Its major features include
powerful full-text search, hit highlighting, faceted search, dynamic
clustering, database integration, and rich document (e.g., Word, PDF)
handling.  Solr is highly scalable, providing distributed search and
index replication, and it powers the search and navigation features of
many of the world's largest internet sites.

Solr is written in Java and runs as a standalone full-text search server
within a servlet container such as Tomcat.  Solr uses the Lucene Java
search library at it's core for full-text indexing and search, and has
REST-like HTTP/XML and JSON APIs that make it easy to use from virtually
any programming language.  Solr's powerful external configuration allow it to
be tailored to almost any type of application without Java coding, and
it has an extensive plugin architecture when more advanced
customization is required.

New Solr 1.4 features include
 - Major performance enhancements in indexing, searching, and faceting
 - Revamped all-Java index replication that's simple to configure and
can replicate config files
 - Greatly improved database integration via the DataImportHandler
 - Rich document processing (Word, PDF, HTML) via Apache Tika
 - Dynamic search results clustering via Carrot2
 - Multi-select faceting (support for multiple items in a single
category to be selected)
 - Many powerful query enhancements, including ranges over arbitrary
functions, and nested queries of different syntaxes
 - Many other plugins including Terms for auto-suggest, Statistics,
TermVectors, Deduplication
-- DRAFT -- DRAFT -- DRAFT -- DRAFT -- DRAFT -- DRAFT -- DRAFT -- DRAFT --