lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: SOLR-1131 - Multiple Fields per Field Type
Date Thu, 26 Nov 2009 01:24:02 GMT

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head arround this entire concept ... i
know part of my problem is that your example use case seems somewhat
nonsensical...

: As a simple proof of concept, imagine that I define a new FieldType
: called PlusMinusIntFieldType that extends IntField.  This FieldType
: takes in an int value and outputs two Fields: one with the original
: value and one with the negative of the value.

: OK, on the search side is where it gets tricky.  The whole point of this
: exercise is that the details are hidden from the user in the generic
: case.  Thus, a query of plusMinus:5 should automatically expand to
: (plusMinus__0:5 OR plusMinus__1:-5).  Of course, an expert user should

...nothing could match plusMinus__0:5 that didn't also match
plusMinus__1:-5, so i don't really understand what the point of using the
field expansion for a use case like this would be ... and that's making it
hard for me to try and understand how this sort of system
could/should/would be used at query time.

perhaps a more realistic example would be helpful?

...or even some differnet simple and contrived examples that demonstrate
how this could be usefull in a way that isn't possible with a single
field.

	?

-Hoss