lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Functions as Filters
Date Mon, 16 Nov 2009 13:23:48 GMT

On Nov 15, 2009, at 8:32 PM, Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> On Nov 15, 2009, at 5:07 PM, Yonik Seeley wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 2:30 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Is it at all meaningful to think about a function query acting as a Filter?
The basic idea being that if the score was above/below some value (presumably 0 by default),
then that particular document would be on/off.

>> frange?
>>
>> http://www.lucidimagination.com/blog/tag/frange/
>
> This might have legs...  In combination with the new Distance functions I committed yesterday:
>
> http://localhost:8983/solr/select/?q=*:*&fq={!frange%20l=0%20u=5}dist%282,%2032,%20-80,%20lat,%20lon%29
>
> As I see it, I can now filter, boost and sort (using the ^0 workaround) by distance using
Function queries.  I've only tested on a small index so far (68K geo-locations), but will
try to use something bigger once I get it indexed.

One of the other things I think we are going to need is a cache for functions that are used
this way.  For instance, in the geo case, it is likely that we would both filter and score
by distance, so it would be nice to have them cached.  Or, at least cached for the life of
the request.  Not sure if we need a longer term cache or not.  It would also be nice to be
able to say "don't cache this" on a per request basis.

-Grant