lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Chris A. Mattmann (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] Commented: (SOLR-1516) DocumentList and Document QueryResponseWriter
Date Wed, 18 Nov 2009 04:59:39 GMT

    [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-1516?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=12779296#action_12779296
] 

Chris A. Mattmann commented on SOLR-1516:
-----------------------------------------

bq. I started of with a clean slate. I did not use your patch for reference. 

Why? The end result of what you attached is very similar to the original I contributed (with
the exception you used SolrInputDocument rather than o.a.l.Document -- why? _and_ you added
a #writeObject method).

bq. The method names are all arbitrary . header and footer are not familiar in Solr's context
.

What is Solr's context? Is there a glossary of typical SOLR function names? I didn't see a
pattern in the existing QueryResponseWriters, not that it would have been a big deal anyways
since this is really a _new_ set of abstract base classes by which to build Document-focused
response writers from.

bq. So I did not use it. write*() or emit*() Ii am fine with both

+1 for emit*() since that was the original intention, and since it matches the javadoc I spent
time and effort to write. 

bq. As I mentioned , it is an idea as a patch and not a real patch. The final form may completely
differ (including javadocs).

Why is that? Is there a big delta between what I contributed and something that meets the
criteria for a patch? 

I appreciate your time in reviewing this patch with me.

Cheers,
Chris



> DocumentList and Document QueryResponseWriter
> ---------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: SOLR-1516
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-1516
>             Project: Solr
>          Issue Type: New Feature
>          Components: search
>    Affects Versions: 1.3
>         Environment: My MacBook Pro laptop.
>            Reporter: Chris A. Mattmann
>            Assignee: Noble Paul
>            Priority: Minor
>             Fix For: 1.5
>
>         Attachments: SOLR-1516.Mattmann.101809.patch.txt, SOLR-1516.patch
>
>
> I tried to implement a custom QueryResponseWriter the other day and was amazed at the
level of unmarshalling and weeding through objects that was necessary just to format the output
o.a.l.Document list. As a user, I wanted to be able to implement either 2 functions:
> * process a document at a time, and format it (for speed/efficiency)
> * process all the documents at once, and format them (in case an aggregate calculation
is necessary for outputting)
> So, I've decided to contribute 2 simple classes that I think are sufficiently generic
and reusable. The first is o.a.s.request.DocumentResponseWriter -- it handles the first bullet
above. The second is o.a.s.request.DocumentListResponseWriter. Both are abstract base classes
and require the user to implement either an #emitDoc function (in the case of bullet 1), or
an #emitDocList function (in the case of bullet 2). Both classes provide an #emitHeader and
#emitFooter function set that handles formatting and output before the Document list is processed.

-- 
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
-
You can reply to this email to add a comment to the issue online.


Mime
View raw message