lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Solr 1.5 or 2.0?
Date Tue, 24 Nov 2009 14:22:32 GMT

On Nov 24, 2009, at 9:07 AM, Colin Hynes wrote:

> Just to toss in my two cents...
>
> I'd have to agree with Hoss here. In terms of versioning, I see no reason that a major
version bump in a dependency should cause a major version bump in Solr - unless said bump
causes major changes.

It's got some pretty big changes.

> I haven't really looked at what's planned for Lucene 3.x yet, but if there are some major
api breaking changes coming, then perhaps the next couple 1.x revisions should be taken to
start cleaning up and preparing for a major version bump. So, I would agree that, unless there's
a really compelling reason to switch to Lucene 3.x, it might be best let a little dust settle
on 2.9.

I think we are going to want to support flexible indexing within a pretty reasonable time
frame after it is available.  Also note, there are some fairly big Solr changes in the pipeline
at this point:
1. Spatial support, which will change/add some significant general purpose capabilities to
Solr.
2. Significant new distributed capabilities for both indexing and searching
3. And of course a fair number of other things.

Agreed, though, on the fact that we should cleanup in prep for 2.x, so we may want to shoot
for a 1.9 first.

-Grant