lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Ryan McKinley <ryan...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Solr 1.5 or 2.0?
Date Wed, 25 Nov 2009 19:54:52 GMT

On Nov 25, 2009, at 11:30 AM, Chris Hostetter wrote:

> : > The point being: it's all been very informat up to now -- and
> that's
> : > probably for the best.  "policies" should evolve over time based
> on real
> : > world situations that come up, and we're still in the process of
> doing
> : > that.
> :
> : Agreed, but now that the elephant has been identified in the room,
> let's
> : come up with a policy then. What are your thoughts on my proposal
> (specified
> : earlier in this thread)?
>
> The elephant has been identified, and he's in the room, but he's in
> the
> far corner and he's not bothering anybody.
>
> my personal preference (at the moment) is to leave things undefined
> for
> now ... i'd rather see us get to a point where we say "whoa, here is
> an
> actaul in the flesh cross roads where it feels wrong to release w/o
> bumping the major version" and then to try and write down a policy
> ahead
> of time anticipating what that cross road is and how we we'll want
> to deal
> with it.
>
> if it's unspecified, it can be specified later when it actaully
> becomes an
> issue -- if it's specified, then people will feel like we are
> beholden to
> the specification, even if it doesn't wind up making as much sense in
> practice.
>
> (yonik: you're anarchist ways clearly rubbed off on me at apachecon)

I agree with keeping it informal (for now)

I agree with Mark that yes, we should do what we can to make the best
choices about changes that affect compatibility.  For sure.

The thing about the 1.5/1.9/2.0 question that makes me uncomfortable
is that it is applying the same 'official' rules from lucene to solr.
I am not sure how well that maps in practice.  What would a 1.9
release mean in solr?  (I don't really want an answer, I just don't
think it means the same thing in solr vs lucene)

Again, i have nothing against calling the next release 2.0 -- I just
think that 1.5 is also fine and keeps the door open for 2.0 to be a
more fundamental change in solr (that may or may not happen)

ryan