lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Weber <m...@mattweber.org>
Subject Autocommit After Being Idle for X Milliseconds
Date Fri, 02 Oct 2009 05:56:06 GMT
Hi guys,

I have a need to commit after a certain amount documents have been fed
OR after a given amount of idle time.  Autocommit currently supports
the max documents, however, the maxTime setting does not work for me
because it is time since the first batch was submitted, not the last
batch.  After looking through the code is seems fairly trivial to add
this support, however I want to get everyones opinion on what should
take precedence (idle time or max time) if both happen to be set in
solrconfig?  I would imagine that max time trumps idle time, thoughts?

Also, looking at the current code I see this particular block in the
addedDocument method of the CommitTracker class:

       // maxTime-triggered autoCommit
       long ctime = (commitWithin>0) ? commitWithin : timeUpperBound;
       if( ctime > 0 ) {
         _scheduleCommitWithin( ctime );
       }

This means that if commitWithin is defined, it always takes precedence
over timeUpperBound.  What if timeUpperBound is less than
commitWithin?  I think this piece of code should schedule the commit
within the shortest amount of time. Something like this:

long ctime = (commitWithin > 0 && commitWithin < timeUpperBound) ?
commitWithin : timeUpperBound;

Is this correct?

Thanks,

Matt Weber