lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Chris A. Mattmann (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] Commented: (SOLR-1516) DocumentList and Document QueryResponseWriter
Date Tue, 20 Oct 2009 20:12:59 GMT

    [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-1516?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=12767925#action_12767925
] 

Chris A. Mattmann commented on SOLR-1516:
-----------------------------------------

Hi All:

I don't mean to be a pest here, but I've seen the amount of activity going on the SOLR lists
recently, as well as the decision to hold off on calling for a vote on 1.4 until Lucene 2.9.1
is released. This patch is self-contained, doesn't touch any code, and honestly, it only adds
functionality that would have made my life as a user of SOLR a lot easier (I would have saved
the hour of debugging and printing out #getClass on the Objects in NamedList, and on top of
that only had to implement an #emitDoc or #emitDocList function and optionally #emitHeader
and #emitFooter, rather than the rest of the supporting code).

Am I the only one that's run into a problem trying to write a custom XML SOLR output that's
inherently simple? That is, XML output that doesn't need to worry about the inherent types
of the named values in the NamedList, output that only cares about spitting out the set of
returned Documents?

It would be great to see this get into 1.4, but if I'm the outlier, I can wait. Just thought
I'd raise the issue.

Cheers,
Chris


> DocumentList and Document QueryResponseWriter
> ---------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: SOLR-1516
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-1516
>             Project: Solr
>          Issue Type: New Feature
>          Components: search
>    Affects Versions: 1.3
>         Environment: My MacBook Pro laptop.
>            Reporter: Chris A. Mattmann
>            Priority: Minor
>             Fix For: 1.5
>
>         Attachments: SOLR-1516.Mattmann.101809.patch.txt
>
>
> I tried to implement a custom QueryResponseWriter the other day and was amazed at the
level of unmarshalling and weeding through objects that was necessary just to format the output
o.a.l.Document list. As a user, I wanted to be able to implement either 2 functions:
> * process a document at a time, and format it (for speed/efficiency)
> * process all the documents at once, and format them (in case an aggregate calculation
is necessary for outputting)
> So, I've decided to contribute 2 simple classes that I think are sufficiently generic
and reusable. The first is o.a.s.request.DocumentResponseWriter -- it handles the first bullet
above. The second is o.a.s.request.DocumentListResponseWriter. Both are abstract base classes
and require the user to implement either an #emitDoc function (in the case of bullet 1), or
an #emitDocList function (in the case of bullet 2). Both classes provide an #emitHeader and
#emitFooter function set that handles formatting and output before the Document list is processed.

-- 
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
-
You can reply to this email to add a comment to the issue online.


Mime
View raw message