lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>
Subject Re: [Solr Wiki] Update of "LocalParams" by naomidushay
Date Wed, 23 Sep 2009 22:19:27 GMT
On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 5:54 PM, Apache Wiki <wikidiffs@apache.org> wrote:
> +  `q={!type=dismax qf=myfield yourfield}solr rocks`
> + will give an error because "yourfield" is expected to be a key=value pair.

This doesn't give an error for the reason you think it does :-)
A single word like this is shorthand for type=yourfield... so
q={!type=dismax qf=myfield lucene}solr rocks
would not throw an error and parse to a lucene query.
This shorthand notation is what allows
{!dismax} to mean the same thing as {!type=dismax}
It's undocumented that it actually works if it's not the first
param... perhaps we should limit that in the future.

> + example of backslash escaping:
> +  `q={!type=dismax qf="title"}2 \+ 2`

This isn't an example of local params backslash escaping.
There is no escaping at all in the value (that's considered a feature).

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com

>  === Query type short-form ===
> - If a localparam value appears without a name, it is given the implicit name of "type".
 This allows short-form representation for the type of query parser to use when parsing a
query string.  Thus
> + If a LocalParams value appears without a name, it is given the implicit name of "type".
 This allows short-form representation for the type of query parser to use when parsing a
query string.  Thus
> - {{{q={!dismax qf=myfield}solr rocks
> +  `q={!dismax qf=myfield}solr rocks`
> - }}} is equivalent to
> + is equivalent to
> - {{{q={!type=dismax qf=myfield}solr rocks
> +  `q={!type=dismax qf=myfield}solr rocks`
> - }}}
>
>  === Parameter value ===
>  A special key of "v" within local parameters is an alternate way to specify the value
of that parameter.
> - {{{q={!dismax qf=myfield}solr rocks
> +  `q={!dismax qf=myfield}solr rocks`
> - }}} is equivalent to
> + is equivalent to
> - {{{q={!type=dismax qf=myfield v='solr rocks'}
> +  `q={!type=dismax qf=myfield v='solr rocks'}`
> - }}}
>
>  === Parameter dereferencing ===
>  Parameter dereferencing or indirection allows one to use the value of another argument
rather than specifying it directly.  This can be used to simplify queries, decouple user
input from query parameters, or decouple front-end GUI parameters from defaults set in solrconfig.xml.