lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r808988 - in /lucene/solr/trunk: CHANGES.txt src/java/org/apache/solr/request/PHPSerializedResponseWriter.java
Date Sat, 05 Sep 2009 17:44:20 GMT
On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 8:24 PM, Chris Hostetter<hossman_lucene@fucit.org> wrote:

> : +61. SOLR-1091: Jetty's use of CESU-8 for code points outside the BMP
> : +    resulted in invalid output from the serialized PHP writer. (yonik)

> : +  static boolean modifiedUTF8 = System.getProperty("jetty.home") != null;
>
> ...that seems really hackish to me, particularly since for all we know
> there are other servlet containers that might have the same problem.

Yeah, it is.
But it's not really a valid option, it's a bug/limitation in the
servlet container IMO.  It would also suck to bloat configuration (and
users brains) with options that don't really control anything, except
that they must correctly match it up with how their servlet container
behaves.  And this doesn't actually fix everything - it simply makes
it such that encapsulation at the transport layer isn't broken - the
end user will still be getting back incorrect UTF8.

I guess one better fix is to take the UTF8 encoding out of the servlet
containers hands and do it all ourselves.  Or just don't support any
servlet containers that can't handle code points outside the BMP?  Or
is there simply a Jetty config option we've been missing.  It's hard
to believe that such a popular servlet container can't handle this.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com