lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>
Subject Re: Response Writers and DocLists
Date Tue, 18 Aug 2009 02:15:18 GMT
On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 6:00 PM, Grant Ingersoll<gsingers@apache.org> wrote:
> I'm looking a little bit at
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-1298 and some of the other
> "pseudo-field" capabilities and am curious how the various Response Writers
> are handling writing out the Docs.  The XMLWriter seems to have a very
> different approach from the others when it comes to dealing with
> multi-valued fields (it sorts first, the others don't.)  Does anyone know
> the history here?

The first version of Solr didn't know about multiValued fields or not.
 The Lucene Document does not aggregate multiple values for the same
field.  Sorting was used to group the fields and detect if there were
multiple values for any of them.

> Also, I'm thinking about having a real simple interface that would allow
> for, when materializing the Fields, to pass in something like a
> DocumentModifier, which would basically get the document right before it is
> to be returned (possibly inside the SolrIndexReader, but maybe this even
> belongs at the Lucene level similar to the FieldSelector, although it is
> likely too late for 2.9.)  Through this DocModifier, one could easily add
> fields, etc.

Too high level for Lucene I think, and nothing is currently needed for
Lucene - a user calls doc() to get the document and then they can
modify or add fields however they want.

An interface could be useful for Solr... but getting 1.4 out the door
is top priority.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com