lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Fwd: [Solr Wiki] Trivial Update of "HowToRelease" by YonikSeeley
Date Thu, 20 Aug 2009 18:38:24 GMT

: > + This page is to help a Solr committer create a new release (you need
: > committer rights for some of the steps to create an official release).  It
: > does not reflect official release policy - many of the items may be
: > optional, or may be modified as necessary.
: > - ''This page is prepared for Solr committers. You need committer rights
: > - to create a new  Solr release.''
:
: I really don't think this is a good idea.  What gets released and how it gets
: released should not be up to the RM.  We as a community have agreed to support
: the artifacts we produce.  One individual should not then get to undermine
: that b/c they don't have a particular use for some particular artifact or
: release step.

This feels like a disagreement of semantics...

the community helps shape the release guidelines via the wiki, but
strictly speaking yonik is correct: it's not formal policy (the PMC didn't
vote on it).  The RM can follow those guidelines as tightly/loosely as
they choose to make an RC but they have to put it to a vote of the PMC
before it is truely a release -- If the PMC feels community concencus was
not followed closely enough by the RM, the release won't get the votes it
needs.

-Hoss