lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Anderson <mik...@MIT.EDU>
Subject distributed search components
Date Fri, 21 Aug 2009 16:52:43 GMT
I'm trying to make my way through learning how to modify and write
distributed search components.

A few questions

1. in SearchHandler, when the query is broken down and sent to each
shard, will this request make it's way to the process() method of the
component (because it will look like a non-distributed request to the
SearchHandler of the shard)?

2. the comment above the response handling loop (in SearchHandler)
says that if any requests are added while in the loop, the loop will
break and make the request immediately. I see that the loop will exit
if there is an exception or if there are no more responses, but  I
don't see how the new requests will be called unless it goes through
the entire loop again.

3. if one adds a request to rb in the handleResponses method, this
wouldn't necessarily be called, namely in the event that none of the
components override the distributedProcess method, and the loop only
goes through once.

4. where can I learn more about the shard.purpose variable? Where in
the component should this be set, if anywhere?

I've taken a look at the wiki page, but if there is more documentation
elsewhere please point me towards it.

Thanks in advance,
Mike