lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <erik.hatc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Response Writers and DocLists
Date Tue, 18 Aug 2009 00:30:14 GMT

On Aug 17, 2009, at 6:59 PM, Ryan McKinley wrote:
> Also with adding a "meta" field, I'm not sure I like that it is a
> double object like:
> doc.get( "_meta_" ).get( "distance")

It'd be more like:  doc.getMeta().get("distance"), at least.  And
doc.get("distance") could be made to fetch first the main document and
if not found search in the meta data.

> It would be nicer if the user does not have any idea if it is a
> pseudo-field or "real" field.  (by "user" I mean how you consume the
> response, not how you construct the URL)

I'm kinda ok with the direction this is heading, with the response
"document" have a pluggable way to add "fields".  My main reluctance
is really from a Lucene-legacy way of thinking of the stored values
from the actual Document object as all that should be allowed there.

Things get trickier as we want meta-meta data... like title field,
title highlighted, and then some more like this for each document, and
allowing for "namespaces" or some kind of way to keep different values
that may have the same key from colliding.

> The SQL "as" command comes to mind:
> SELECT name, count(xxx) as cnt

Hmmm, that's an idea.

   fl=title, highlighted(title) as highlighted_title,
some_function(popularity) as scaled_popularity

	Erik