lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Upgrading Lucene
Date Thu, 06 Aug 2009 12:36:34 GMT
Grant Ingersoll wrote:

> On Aug 5, 2009, at 6:07 PM, Mark Miller wrote:
>
>> Mark Miller wrote:

>>> It was - but they knew it would be and decided it was fine. The
>>> methods on the class were package private, so it appeared
>>> reasonable. The class was also labeled as expert and subject to
>>> sudden change. I guess it was fair game to break - I don't think
>>> this scenario was thought of, but I would think we can work around
>>> it. I havn't really thought about it yet myself though.
>>>

>> So this is a bit tricky I guess. The way they handled this in Lucene
>> Benchmark is:
>> writer.setMergePolicy((MergePolicy)
>> Class.forName(mergePolicy).getConstructor(new Class[] {
>> IndexWriter.class }).newInstance(new Object[] { writer }));
>>
>> Now if we handle it the same way, thats fine. But then you can't put
>> one of these in solr.home/lib. To do that, you have to use
>> SolrResourceLoader.newInstance - which requires a no arg constructor.
>
> There's a newInstance on SolrResourceLoader that can take args, if
> that helps.
Ah, nice - I think it does. I kept glossing over it and just saw:
public Object newInstance(String cname, String ... subpackages)

There is also   public Object newInstance(String cName, String []
subPackages, Class[] params, Object[] args)

Thanks - it looks like it should work.

>> I think we can do something like: create an object with
>> SolrResourceLoader that loads the MergePolicy - it can use
>> Class.forName like above because it will use the Classloader of the
>> object that invoked it. But I'd rather not go there if we don't have
>> to. This is a pretty advanced plugin, and likely just intended for
>> picking between included Lucene impls. Do we want to make sure it can
>> still be loaded from solr.home/lib?
>

> We could require that any implementations take a writer.  I think we
> need a better way of taking in arbitrary attributes.  Basically,
> Spring or GUICE or whatever, but that isn't going to happen overnight.

Right - and we want to upgrade now :) Looks like we have the
functionality we need though, thanks !

--
- Mark

http://www.lucidimagination.com