lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>
Subject Re: SOLR automatic failover
Date Tue, 14 Jul 2009 16:12:41 GMT
On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 11:49 AM, Eric
Pugh<epugh@opensourceconnections.com> wrote:
> Isn't the pool of slave Solr's behind a load balancer similar to SOLR
> automatic failover?  Guess I am not sure what you mean?  Seems like what
> ZooKeeper does
> (http://hadoop.apache.org/zookeeper/docs/current/zookeeperOver.html) is
> analogous to the Solr master/pool of slave servers.

Right now, the task of keeping track of what servers are in a cluster
and what data they have is pushed off to the user.
Zookeeper would keep track of that (and would also serve as a single
point of configuration).

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to start up another server like so:
java -jar start.jar -Dcluster_id=foo

And just have everything work (no updating loadbalancer configuration,
other clients, etc).

Then there is master failover - a somewhat harder problem... or very
much harder, depending on how one approaches it.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com