lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: subdirectories under lib
Date Sat, 04 Jul 2009 19:21:07 GMT

: How hard would it be to allow subdirectories under example/solr/lib?

it would be fairly easy to implement, but it would change some existing
behavior.

Right now each item in the lib dir is treated as a classpath entry --
which means you can put jar files in the lib directory, but you can also
have directories contianing java namespaces of class files in the lib
directory as well (ie: exploded jar files) so something like this
currently
works...

my_solr_home/lib
my_solr_home/lib/my-special-faceting-component.jar
my_solr_home/lib/my-custom-analyzer.zip
my_solr_home/lib/my-cool-request-handler
my_solr_home/lib/my-cool-request-handler/org
my_solr_home/lib/my-cool-request-handler/org/fucit/
my_solr_home/lib/my-cool-request-handler/org/fucit/MyHandler.class
my_solr_home/lib/my-cool-request-handler/org/fucit/MyHandlerUtils.class

(or at least: it worked when I original wrote the code)

: Seems like it would be nice to allow jars to be partitioned, so
: everything related to solr cell could be put under the

I agree, being able to organize jars under lib seems like a far more
useful feature then supporting package hieracies of class files -- anybody
downloading a plugin is probably going to get a jar (or a set of jars).
anyone writitng their own plugin should know how to jar up a directory.

a one line note in the Upgrading section of CHANGES should be good enough
in case changing this does actually affect someone.

-Hoss