lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SOLR automatic failover
Date Wed, 15 Jul 2009 14:06:30 GMT
I've got some ZooKeeper work that I did on the plane the other day
that I haven't had the time to write up just yet.

I've got the start for:
1. Automatic setting of Shards param for distributed search and new
shards can automatically register themselves and be added to the mix
(this is the furthest along, but is dependent on the firstSearcher/
newSearcher problem with distributed search that I mentioned in a
diff. thread)
2. Start on way to bring replicants and masters on and offline and do
rebalancing
3. RequestHandler based administration to add/delete/list/status
ZooKeeper and it's information

I think the nice thing about all of it is it pretty much works
seamlessly with existing Solr components and request handlers.  I need
to bring the patch up to date and fill in a couple of pieces, but will
post soon as a start.

-Grant

On Jul 14, 2009, at 12:12 PM, Yonik Seeley wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 11:49 AM, Eric
> Pugh<epugh@opensourceconnections.com> wrote:
>> Isn't the pool of slave Solr's behind a load balancer similar to SOLR
>> automatic failover?  Guess I am not sure what you mean?  Seems like
>> what
>> ZooKeeper does
>> (http://hadoop.apache.org/zookeeper/docs/current/
>> zookeeperOver.html) is
>> analogous to the Solr master/pool of slave servers.
>
> Right now, the task of keeping track of what servers are in a cluster
> and what data they have is pushed off to the user.
> Zookeeper would keep track of that (and would also serve as a single
> point of configuration).
>
> Wouldn't it be nice to be able to start up another server like so:
> java -jar start.jar -Dcluster_id=foo
>
> And just have everything work (no updating loadbalancer configuration,
> other clients, etc).
>
> Then there is master failover - a somewhat harder problem... or very
> much harder, depending on how one approaches it.
>
> -Yonik
> http://www.lucidimagination.com

Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com/