lucene-solr-dev mailing list archives

From Jason Rutherglen <jason.rutherg...@gmail.com>
Subject Dependency Injection?
Date Tue, 14 Jul 2009 21:06:18 GMT
Are we looking at implementing dependency injection for the config files?
I'd like to think about this as we also look at integrating Zookeeper for
config file management. I was trying (for example) to use
LogByteSizeMergePolicy however currently I can't set the parameters because
solrconfig.xml only accepts a class name. Adding custom dependency injection
just for this class doesn't seem ideal, nor is rolling out our own
dependency injection? There's a couple of choices: * Spring - It's in wide
use, however it grows brittle and very difficult to maintain over time. I'd
personally rather focus on search, not managing webs of xml files. Some
companies have extended Spring to get around other limitations, I don't
think we want to go down that path? * Guice
http://code.google.com/p/google-guice/ Pluses: Apache Licensed and it's
integrated with Java so there's no problems with misspellings, type safety.
Because it's in Java it gets around Spring's biggest drawback to me which is
the inability to easily navigate the XML files.